A vehicle-mounted Weather Station provides weather monitoring while on the go. It plays an important role during mobile operations of emergency respondents, storm chasers and broadcast meteorology.
Factors When Choosing A Vehicle-Mounted Weather Station
When looking for vehicle-mounted weather stations it is important to consider some factors before deciding to buy:
✔ The weather stations should be small enough to be carried on your vehicle. This factor of vehicle-mounted weather stations allows you to easily mount and install it on top of the vehicle.
✔ Accurate and reliable. The vehicle-mounted weather stations should be able to provide the accuracy needed, especially for situations like emergency respond and storm chasing.
✔ Solar-powered with battery backup. Look for a vehicle-mounted weather station with outdoor sensor suites that is solar-powered so it charges during the day.
Editor’s Choice: The Best Vehicle-Mounted Weather Station
Considering the factors of a good vehicle-mounted weather station, we’ve searched for the best ones in the market and really found only one solid recommendation. So, instead of needlessly making this a ‘top 10’ list, here’s our number 1 choice. The Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue. Our choice for the perfect portable weather station for your vehicle.
- Self-contained weather monitoring system includes Integrated Sensor Suite (ISS), LCD console, and mounting hardware (mounting pole sold separately)
- Console features an easy-to-read, backlit 3 by 4.375-inch LCD display with a glow-in-the-dark keypad
- Wireless transmission from ISS to console of up to 100 yard with fast updates every 2.5 seconds
- Reports current weather conditions, including indoor and outdoor temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, wind speed and direction, dew point, and rainfall
- Console includes weather forecast icons, moon phase, sunrise/sunset times, graphing of weather trends, alarms and more
Last update on 2020-04-10
What makes this a good choice for a vehicle-mounted weather station?
Firstly, Davis Instruments are a reliable brand that we’ve recommended on this blog countless times. Now, as for the reasons why this specific product suits vehicle mounting well:
- Nothing needs to be plugged in. The console will run for months on batteries alone, and the outdoor sensors are solar powered (with battery backup)
- Accuracy. This product is used by professionals,and you’ll get super fast updates (every 2.5s) on things like wind speed/direction, temperature, rain, and more.
- Portability. It’s easy to mount or remove depending on what you’re using it for, so you can set back up in your garden easily after you’re finished storm chasing!
FAQs About The Vantage Vue
Based on conversations we’ve had, and the questions and answers you’ll find on Amazon, here’s some quick FAQs at-a-glance:
Q: Is there a warranty?
A: Yes. One year.
Q: Can the units of measurement be changed?
A: Temperature changes between F and Celcius. Rain can change between inches and mm.
Q: Where is the device made?
A: To the best of our knowledge, they are still made in the USA in 2020.
Q: What size mounting pipe will I need?
A: Answers from buyers are varied, but from 1″ to 2″ diameter will work. The mounting bracket is adjustable.
Q: Do I need a computer to view the information?
A: No, you’ll be able to display information on an internet browser in any device (phone, PC, tablet).
I hope that this recommendation helps you! Good luck. And if you have any experience with vehicle-mounted weather stations, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment and let us know about your thoughts & experience.